Here we will explain you about How does Popcorn Work, and also let you understand the elements participating in the process of popcorn popping. We have been getting requests by many users and other students about the science behind the popcorn making. You might want to know if you are buying the air popcorn popper in 2017.
To know more about the reason behind the popping process while making Popcorn, keep reading!
How does Popcorn Work?
Well, all are aware of the corn kernels, and the processed kernels come out in the form of Popcorn. Most of the people are known to these food elements but have you ever wondered what happens scientifically to the corn kernel, that it provides you with the Popcorn in the result.
The very question will be answered in the following section:
- The main three elements which work in the creation of the popcorn include moisture of the kernel, starch in the kernel, and finally the hard shell which surrounds the kernel. All these three elements are responsible in the popping process.
- So when the kernels are heated up, the moisture present in these corn kernels expand. The level of the moisture is crucial when we are dealing with the kernels. So if this moisture factor remains the normal one, you won’t find any change here.
- There is some pressure within these kernels, and if they remain unchanged, you won’t find any popping action.
- And when the pressure reaches the right level, you will get the kernel explosion. But another concept is related to the white thing which starts to form after popping process.
- These white formation found here is the starch content that we mentioned in the first point. The starch content does not usually expand. Instead, they form bubble-like structure. And the neighbouring bubbles they join and form a solid 3-D network kind of thing.
So, these are the contents included in one corn kernel. And the complete science behind the popping process is explained in the above section.
Hope you guys enjoyed reading out the How does Popcorn Work post. And, we believe that this helped with solving your doubts related to the popping process. If you liked reading our article, share it with your friends. And to get regular updates from us, do a follow on our page Kitchenopedia.